CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Timing Belt Sizing

Posted by Wally K
on 2000-11-28 17:46:39 UTC
Nice post. But i disagree with your conclusion. It looks to me like
you calculated the minimum belt width needed with the simplest
loads. What if the table has to accelerate a several hundred pound
part and start the heavy cut at the same time. Jon Elson posted that
he snapped his belt by accelerating to quickly. Acceleration is
obviously a big concern.

I think what you should do is use your calculated number as a minimum
belt width and use it as a referance point. Then do what i said in
my earler post to you and use the maximum HP number your drives can
put out or you hope they will put out if you go to bigger drives.
Recalculate belt size with this new HP rating. Now look at the
differance in these 2 numbers i would guess a couple of belt sizes.
Now look at the differance in price for sprockets for these 2 belt
sizes, maybe a few dollars. You can spend about $400.00 in sprockets
and belts for 3 axis and have a marginal system that snaps belts or
spend $450.00 and run for 20 years without a problem.

Wally K.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2000-11-28 09:42:05 UTC Re: Electronic Box Shielding ? Smoke 2000-11-28 10:31:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electronic Box Shielding ? Hugh Currin 2000-11-28 16:06:30 UTC Re: Timing Belt Sizing Wally K 2000-11-28 17:46:39 UTC Re: Timing Belt Sizing