CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] looking for break on shipping, anyone in Sac willing to recieve?

Jon Anderson wrote:

> I'm buying a mill head and some parts that will be shipped from Dalton
> Georgia to California. I was rather shocked at the quotes, almost double
> what someone with volume discounts would pay.
> I'm trying to save $100, and wonder if anyone in the Sacramento area
> that has good volume discounts might be willing to recieve this on their
> account. I'd pick up in person at your dock, pay the shipping in cash
> along with $100 cash for the trouble. My best quote is $454 from CF, and
> this involves driving to Sac anyway.

I'm not sure, this may be above the limit for UPS. But, if you can get
somebody to take the motor off (I'm assuming this is a Bridgeport or
clone head of the 1J through 4J styles) it should be able to go in 2
packages. UPS rates are obviously cheaper. With just a little more
effort, the belt housing comes off the main spindle housing and gets
the weight down a little more, but exposes the spindle to damage.
You will have to have this really well packed to survive the brutes at
UPS who delight in throwing stuff marked "fragile". All handles,
etc. should either be removed or padded around with something
like wood, to keep the handle or shaft from punching through the
box and hitting something hard (like concrete).

I just did a cost calculation with UPS, using some zip codes I
remembered off the top of my head that would work out to
similar distances. Their top weight per package is 150 Lbs.
UPS ground from zip 20012 to 95415 is $69!

I'm just not certain that the 1J head and belt housing will be under
150 Lb. with packing. Without the belt housing, I can lift it, so
I think it will be able to go that way. Just make sure the spindle
is really well protected from getting bent, and I think you can make
it go in 3 packages for about 80 Lbs (motor) 45 Lbs (belt housing)
and guessing ~ 135 Lbs (main spindle with packing).

Jon Elson 2000-12-06 16:13:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] looking for break on shipping, anyone in Sac willing to recieve?