CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes

Posted by Wally K
on 2000-12-07 01:49:25 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:
> ron wrote:
> >Good to hear this discussion. We have had this before, but it has ?
> >never quite turned into reality.
>
> Ron,
>
> Thanks for joining in with some good thoughts. You're right, let's
> get this to the next level!
>
> Towards that end:
>
> P-ports are familiar and easy. And disappearing??!!
> Serial ports are a pain, and familiar. And being replaced???
> USB seems to be gaining steam as the NEXT "desktop" std...
> Firewire seems to be a good choice ?? (evolving as an industrial
std)

> Comments, anyone?

I think a standard digital 48 I/O card would make a great interface.
The misc limit sw I/O would be taken care of by the card and plenty
of extra pins for axis control. These cards are available in ISA or
PCI.

> >I would be thrilled to pay a couple hundred dollars to have a box
> >like flashcut sells, with an open protocol. I would finish up my VB
> >Conversational program very quick to run on it.
>
> The "flashcut box" is a std. microcontroller serial-type board. Has
> processor and oscillator, a max232, and some "update able" ROM. I
> believe it is a proprietary "motion system on a chip". I would not
> want this!! I really would want to keep the interp algorithms and
> trajectory planning on the pc.
>
> But I do like the idea of a multi-axis pulse gen that I have
> to "update" periodically... And I'd like some I/O "out there in the
> box" as well... How many I/O bits do you think we NEED? And how
many
> do we Want? :-)
>
> >I am not interested in boards to be plugged into the PC that need
> >drivers to run them. PCs have well know ports- serial and parallel,
> >either of which is far faster than needed to control an
intelligent
> >box from VB. Don't need to open the PC box.
>
> Agreed. NO "plug-in" boards! So, again I ask, Which protocol?

I have no problem with plug in boards, except homemade pci are harder
for us to make than isa. And isa is going away.

> >And, keep the drive board separate from the 'signal generator'
Then I
> >can use a simple 1.2 amp chip, or Dans 5 amp board, or Marris
> >Step/dir Servo board, whatever I need, with the same signal box.

I agree, the signal generator circuit should be seperate. To be
idiot proof it should have its own on board voltage regulator and we
would just connect a cheap low voltage ac transformer to it. The on
board power supply would guaranty consistent glitch free power.

> Yes, definitely. Mariss, What do you think the "form factor" of
this
> circuit is/ will be. Since the posted circuit is old, will you be
> using ASIC or FPGA or ...? Will it be "geckodrive" size? Where will
> the power come from? Details. Details.
>
> >I like SimpleStep, and the PicServo, but they have different
command
> >sets. Id like one box to support.
>
> Yes. Again agreed. And let's keep Jeff Bs' advice in mind. Figure
out
> the LEAST BIT that NEEDS hardware! This is a product/ project/
> situation which will scream for feature-itis, IMO! Let's keep the
box
> really simple.
>
> >Sounds like Marris has the interest and ability to design and
build
> >the box, who's going to write the code?
> >ron ginger
>
> I'm VERY interested in this project. But I'd like to see some
answers
> from the list to my questions/opinions above first...
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-06 21:54:48 UTC black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes Smoke 2000-12-06 22:47:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes Smoke 2000-12-06 22:56:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes Wally K 2000-12-07 01:49:25 UTC black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes Jeff Barlow 2000-12-07 13:54:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes