CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes

Posted by Jeff Barlow
on 2000-12-08 13:04:26 UTC
Jon,

I agree that "The PC parallel port is pretty deterministic". The nature
of the problems I have seen are related to the fact that the PC parallel
port is not _a_ thing but a whole lot of different things depending on
which chip set you use, how PnP decides to share IRQs, etc. EPP will
work fine on some machines and hang on others.

Folks like you and I can fight with these things and get them to work.
(Hell, we might even think it's fun.) OTOH, a whole lot of people buy
"compatible" parallel port peripherals, plug them in, can't get them to
work, and return them to the store.

Jeff

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:49:47 -0600, Jon E. wrote:

>The PC parallel port is pretty deterministic. The machines I've worked with
>lately get about 1 uS of jitter on the transactions in EPP handshaking mode.
>That's pretty good, as far as I can tell.

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-12-07 23:45:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes Jeff Barlow 2000-12-08 13:04:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes Smoke 2000-12-08 13:18:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] black box specs was Re: interpolation and algorithms of multiple axes