CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

smart box command set was RE: Re: interp and algorithms of mult axes

Posted by Wally K
on 2000-12-10 18:37:57 UTC
ballendo@y... wrote:
> Okay, here are some suggestions.
>
> To get around any legal action. Think like phoenix and the IBM bios
> (they were the ones who "cracked" the ibm bios chipset and made the
> term "IBM compatible" possible). That is, one person looks at the
> source, and describes its' function completely. A second person,
who
> MUST NEVER have seen the source, works only from the given
> description, to create a compatible functionality.
>
> The clearest and briefest set I've seen is the InStep motion
library
> by Microkinetics. It would be VERY easy to 'personalise' this set
> since each command starts with 'IS' as in ISARC (for an arc
command).

> The Canonical commands of EMC do not include (yet) all we would
want,
> but they ARE readily available, designed for the application, and
> fairly succinct. And well documented.
>
> I personally would cast a vote against using the IndexerLPT command
> set. Although fairly extensive, I believe it is overly verbose.
Also,
> It would not surprise me if Art V pursued legal action against its'
> use by us.
>
> And then there are MANY motion control companies who have developed
> set of commands for their proprietary systems. Galil, AB, etc.
>
> Next.
> I think the ACTUAL commands sent (over the link to the box) should
be
> as short as possible, balanced with an understandable
communication.

> I wouldn't go so far as NASA in 1969 (looking through the book to
see
> what error 212 was while we were trying to land on the moon) , but
> I'd surely like to see ARCP, rather than ARC_TO_POINT (followed by
> numerical params). The serial link does have an additional point in
> its favor(if used in a std. way); It will be easy to see what
> the 'desktop' is sending to the 'black box'.(using a terminal
> program) Both for S/W development and troubleshooting user
> installations.
>
> I think we should send parameters as steps to the box, rather than
> units. Keeping with the idea of doing as much in the desktop as
> practical.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo

If you want to make the box smart, then make it smart. Start buy
making it accept Gcodes and Mcodes. Use the machinery and tool
handbook for the command set and descriptions of commands. Later add
mfg specific Gcodes as required.

Wally K.

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-10 17:34:17 UTC smart box command set was RE: Re: interp and algorithms of mult axes Wally K 2000-12-10 18:37:57 UTC smart box command set was RE: Re: interp and algorithms of mult axes