CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DRO+ Speed

Posted by Tom Kulaga
on 1999-07-20 22:26:53 UTC
> From: "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...>
>
>I ran the latest version of DRO+ on muy 486-33 shop PC I had the software
>configured for 40000 counts to the inch. It worked perfectly whenI spun the
>shaft of the motor to which the 1000 line encoder is attached. ( the
>electronic goldmine part) Then I got a bright idea. I hooked up the motor to
>12V and ran the motor. The PC ,encoder, and program all kept up. I don't now
>how fast the motor was running but it was at least 1000 rpms. So if there
>was any doubt as weather Tom's program and design for the board would work
>under high speed conditions, I think that test proves that it will.
>Dan

Some off-the-cuff calculations suggest that in order to outrun the
LS7266 chip using a 1000 CPR encoder, you'd need to top 100,000 RPM
at least. Just thought you'd like to know. :) The reason it's so
fast is that the entire reading and counting procedure is on-chip,
so all the software needs to do is keep getting the current position
and displaying it.

-Tom Kulaga

Discussion Thread

Tom Kulaga 1999-07-20 22:26:53 UTC Re: DRO+ Speed