CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?...

Wally K wrote:

> Jon Elson wrote:
> >

> > My mill is in the basement, right under the kitchen, so a stink
> would cause trouble.
> >
> > Jon
>
> Did you get your mill into the basement by bringing it down the
> stairs.

HELL, NO! This is highly NOT recommended! It can be done, with
extensive shoring up under the steps, winches, sheets of 3/4"
plywood, etc. And, anyone in the basement while this is in progress
is playing with suicide.

When I was working with realtors (both times) one of the requirements
was basement-level access. The first house was pretty small, although
listed as a 4-Br, these were quite small bedrooms. About a 1400 Sq
Ft house, with an 1100 Sq Ft basement, and a garage under 2 rooms.
This was really convenient, as the garage was right next to the machine
shop, and the tools were really convenient to both areas.

Now, I have the garage next to the kitchen, and the basement steps
all the way at the bedroom end of the house. So, every time I need
a tool, I have to walk all the way through the house, down the steps,
all the way across the basement, get the tool (at this point I'm about
15 feet from the garage, almost below it) and then go all the way
back. I used to keep car-type tools in the garage, and shop-type
tools in the shop, but then stuff started disappearing. No problem
with 3 girls, but as soon as I had a boy old enough to walk, the tools
start disappearing!

> And what about the smell of the various cutting oils.

I have, on occasion, had a comment like "are you burning stuff down
there?" But, I mostly use flood coolant, so there really isn't much oil
smoke anymore.

By the way, a local company, Engineered Lubricants, gave me a sample
of "Encool" their flood coolant concentrate for all metals, but specifically
formulated for aluminum, which I do a lot of. I used Trico's Tri-Cool
before, and had short tool life and massive growth of gunk in the
sump. The Encool has never shown even a hint of any sort of growth
in the sump, with very intermittent use, the tools seem to last as well as
with cutting oil (but the work stays cool even with agressive feeds)
and it is even better at corrosion inhibiting as the Tri-Cool. I'm
VERY impressed with this coolant. (The only downside is it does
leave a sticky film on the work, if you let it air dry. I usually wipe the
parts with a paper towel after they are finished, and then everything
is fine!)

Lee Studley 2000-12-15 09:21:17 UTC Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?... Lee Studley 2000-12-15 11:14:02 UTC Re: Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?... Jon Elson 2000-12-15 12:17:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?... Wally K 2000-12-15 15:23:34 UTC Re: Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?... Jon Elson 2000-12-15 23:26:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?... Lee Studley 2000-12-16 10:59:31 UTC Re: Synthetic way lubes vs Smell..?...