CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Inertia calc

Posted by Ozzie@h...
on 2000-12-18 05:58:09 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Jon Elson <jmelson@a...> wrote:

> Well, this is a bit of a problem. At 50 RPM, with a 10:1 belt
reduction,
> the motor is only turning 500 RPM, or less than 1/4 of rated speed.
> This means you lose a lot of power. The torque will be fine,
however.

> I don't know why you are worried about starting and stopping torque,
> as the spindle does not need to stop and start for threading. The
spindle
> can be run continuously, while the tool plunges in, feeds toward the
> headstock and then pulls out at the end of the thread and returns to
> the starting point.
>
> Jon

Thanks Jon,
Since this is only a hobby, I'd like to use what I already have as
much as possible. That means using CNCPRO as the software and driving
the spindle as if it were just another axis. At the end of the cut
the tool would withdraw and the spindle and X axis would reverse to
get to a starting point for the next cut.
I'm not locked into any particular speed ratio, I'm just having a
hard time envisioning the servo stopping the weight of the spindle
and then reversing to go to an exact postion, and figured that a slow
spindle speed and high reduction would help.

Jerry

Discussion Thread

Ozzie@h... 2000-12-17 11:41:00 UTC Inertia calc Greg Nuspel 2000-12-17 12:44:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Inertia calc Jon Elson 2000-12-17 21:36:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Inertia calc Ozzie@h... 2000-12-18 05:58:09 UTC Re: Inertia calc