CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Oriential Motors

Posted by Jim GREGG
on 1999-07-21 19:27:09 UTC
Hi list.

Be a little cautious re oriental electrical/electronic devices, particularly
motors.

The name brands on motors are fine but others ......

To quote 2 examples I bought a Mill/Drill under a fairly well known brand name.
In the box with it were eight other brand name nameplates, all interchangeable!

I know that some importers actually strip and check these things for
accuracy and specifications, when they recieve them, others clearly do not.

The motor on this unit would not switch to run mode (single phase), until I
fixed the internal start/run centrifugal switch.

The second example was more of a worry. A friend imported a batch of small
Chinese lathes. Specification in order and on the machines was 250 volt 1
phase. We unpacked one and set it up in the shop, and had a potential
customer immediately. These things use a timing belt drive from a small
motor IN the headstock, with an electronic speed control also buried in the
headstock.

We turned the thing on and wound up the speed and the motor promptly burnt out.

Second one was obviously going too fast at high settings. Turned out that
the whole batch had 117 volt motors, and due to the non standard size of the
motors, no replacement was available - he had to sell transformers with them.

Jim Gregg