CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: EMC install

Posted by Paul Corner
on 2000-12-20 14:31:55 UTC
Ballendo,

Yes, IF you are installing Linux for the first time, patching and compiling
the kernel. Then downloading the emc sources to compile - It can be a real
PITA for a newbie. But with some of the current linux distributions, that part
is no worse than Windose to install. Then there are pre-compiled rtlinux
binaries available, along with the emc binaries from linuxcnc.org.
The whole process shouldn't be too demanding. Probably the most difficult part
for any user will be configuring the ini file - But that would apply to a
number of the other packages available.
Heck, if someone was really stuck with getting emc installed, there are a
number of people that can offer advise.

EMC is known to compile and run with the following linux distros:-
Mandrake 7.0
SuSE 6.3
Redhat 5.2 - I believe some of the later versions require a pre-patched rt
kernel source from rtlinux.org.

Caldera should be OK, but I've not manged to get Corel linux to install, so
I would advise against that package.
Heck, if someone got really stuck, they only need to ask for help. I myself
would be happy to burn the necessary files onto a CD for anyone in the UK.
(for a pound or two just to cover costs)

Regards, Paul.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, ballendo@... wrote:

> >See? To all the doubters, it CAN be done!
> Jon,
> SURE, It can be done! But Ray H is hardly a 'typical' case, don't you
> think? 3 hours THIS time; after how many HOURS/DAYS/MONTHS of
> learning curve!?!? (not meant to be a spoilsport, but let's keep this
> real... EMC is STILL a TOUGH NUT for MANY to crack!)
>
> Ballendo
>
> >>Ray wrote:
> >> List
> >> I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the folk who made the
> >>following message from my new EMC PC possible.
> >> "The compile of EMC appeared to succeed perfectly.

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-19 17:04:23 UTC re: EMC install was re: no subject Paul Corner 2000-12-20 14:31:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: EMC install