CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re[3]: OT: Intro + Q:Selecting workshop heater

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-12-20 14:54:18 UTC
Terry wrote:
>i agree with mariano that the best heater is in floor
>hot water heat.<snip>
>i would recommend going with hot water radiators
>plumbed with the pipes visible.
>there is little need to bury the pipes in the floor or walls.

Terry,

I agree with the recommendation of hot water heat, but take issue
with the last line reposted above. I know from previous posts that
you understand the concept of thermal mass. My elementary school had
radiant floor heating (buried in concrete). My high school had 'hot
water' radiators in each room (exposed 'pipes'. There is a VAST
difference between the comfort level of the two methods, IMO.

And cleanup is easier when exposed pipes are not involved...

I have made and used a 'poor man's' radiant floor, using garden hoses
and the 2x2 sleepers and ply of my earlier post. Hot water heater,
electric pump. Worked well.

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. In other shops, I have 'aimed' a space heater at the largest
block of cast iron in the shop, so the heat can do double duty...

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-20 14:54:18 UTC Re[3]: OT: Intro + Q:Selecting workshop heater