CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DXF stuff

on 2001-01-03 19:47:40 UTC
Patrick,

Your programs might be useful to help you understand .DXF files, but I
think I'd work on .DXF to Gcode NOW! Check out our FAQ, and you'll find
controller programs that are either free or reasonably priced. When you
can generate gcode and have a program like FlashCut or AutoEditCNC
(eval) understand it, then you're ready to write or buy a controller
(some free controllers out there too).

Alan KM6VV

pmcgillan@... wrote:

> Hi,
> I am just getting started in this and decided I needed some software
> tools first, before actually building a CNC controlled router. My end
> project will be to carve letters or other 2-dimensional objects out of
> wood.
>
> My first software project is read-dxf.pl, which reads a file specified
> on the command line and writes to the screen a list of all the lines
> found.
>
> Problem with that was, a large file would scroll off the page. So I
> rewrote it in perl-tk to give the user an X window interface, with
> scrollable windows and a file menu.
>
> Are these two programs worthwhile, not sure, you tell me. I am working
> on another program, which will move the xy cordinates into the postive
> quadrant, if they are not there already.
>
> In ways, these programs and some thoughts behind what I am doing are
> at http://cnc.cjb.com
>
> Need some feedback here, so let me know. Just signed up to the email
> list today, even though I having been lurking for awhile.
>
> Patrick

Discussion Thread

pmcgillan@m... 2001-01-03 17:37:06 UTC DXF stuff Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-03 19:47:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DXF stuff