CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: quiet list and EMC

Posted by Dan Falck
on 1999-07-26 16:13:36 UTC
At 05:27 PM 7/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Fred Proctor <proctor@...>
>
>Dan,
>
>I went to the Gibson site and saw the Maestro with the lyre tailpiece.
>It looks beautiful. Is this something you did for Gibson? How did you
>program it?

Yes, I work for Gibson and do a lot of engraving for them in my home shop.
I use my mill/drill and a Sherline mill, both set up with steppers. I use
Autocad and Vector 7 to do the drawing and programming.
I started with an old piece, scanned it and traced over the bitmap in
Autocad. Originally, I used Dancad/Danplot, so it was easy to take a HPGL
file out of Autocad and import it into Danplot to make a tool path. When I
bought Vector, I just converted the DXF quickly to G-code. EMC runs great
for engraving. Sometimes I want to deepen a section of the artwork on a
piece that has been slightly warped or has a low spot- I just set the run
mark in the editor to the section of code that I want to repeat and then
run it from there. Thank you for writing this program.

>I did this with the PMAC using a Renishaw touch trigger probe. What did
>you plan on using?
>--Fred

Actually, I didn't plan on anything elaborate, just a ball on the end of a
rod that is mounted in a three point arrangement to close a circuit when
activated. The kind of things that I wanted to digitize would be simple
pieces with curves on them. I like the challenge of being able to digitize
and engrave anything.
The way I see it, it would be neat to digitize a piece, import the point
cloud into Rhino or something similar, and then project text or artwork
onto the piece.

Thanks,
Dan Falck

Discussion Thread

Dan Falck 1999-07-25 17:56:46 UTC quiet list and EMC Fred Proctor 1999-07-26 14:27:58 UTC Re: quiet list and EMC Dan Falck 1999-07-26 16:13:36 UTC Re: quiet list and EMC