CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] advertisement

on 2001-01-05 19:56:24 UTC
> Smoke wrote:
>
> I was going to publish a magazine in an art related
> field once. About the only way you could publish
> without any ads would be to pass on ALL the costs to
> the subscribers...

Not the way it works in scientific publications. In most of the
prestige publications, the author has to pay a page charge, if
his article is accepted for publication. This is after going
through a peer review. Peer reviews typically turn down a lot
more articles than they accept. As a consequence, all grants
have monies included to defray the cost of publication of the
research results. Library subscriptions to some of these
journals cost $1000 or more per year, too, for 12 or less
issues. Personal subscriptions cost a bunch too. I gave up
paying for all my subs when I retired - simply couldn't afford it
anymore.

Seems to me that our hobby magazines would die on the vine
quickly if the authors had to pay to have articles published, or
if anywhere close to the real publication costs were paid for by
the subscribers.

JerryK

Discussion Thread

Peter Chen 2001-01-05 17:03:02 UTC advertisement Tim Goldstein 2001-01-05 18:56:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] advertisement Jerry Kimberlin 2001-01-05 19:56:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] advertisement Smoke 2001-01-05 21:37:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] advertisement