CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Timing Belts?

Posted by Doug Harrison
From: <thomasm923@...>
> I have been reading about micro-
> stepping as a way to getting higher resolution, however I am
> concerned that the micro-steps are really not that accurate.

Welcome to the group Tom. The argument about microstepping accuracy has
been going on as long as this list has been in existance. Here's my
admittedly biased opinion.

A typical step motor has 200 full steps per revolution. Most of us run 2:1
reduction through timing belts, giving 400 full steps per rev of the
leadscrew. If the leadscrew pitch is .200 inch then one full step results
in a theoretical movement of .0005 inch.

Of course we tend to get carried away with the "mine's bigger" thing from
time to time, but the fact is that most of us can't afford milling machines
for which +/-.0005 inch really makes a difference. Microstepping is used to
reduce the problems of resonance, and this it does quite effectively.
Eliminating resonance does significantly reduce the problem of lost steps.
Thus,it can improve repeatability to within the machine's ability. As for
increasing resolution, it serves no purpose for most of us.

Steppers will get you running on the cheap. You can always upgrade to servo
without changing software, thanks to the G320/340 drives that Mariss sells.
Just build that sucker! We're here to help.

Doug;)

Discussion Thread

thomasm923@a... 2001-01-08 07:12:50 UTC Timing Belts? Tim Goldstein 2001-01-08 08:29:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Timing Belts? Doug Harrison 2001-01-08 14:47:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Timing Belts? thomasm923@a... 2001-01-08 21:02:54 UTC Re: Timing Belts?