CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Cad Rhino VS Intellicad?, was Manual programming

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2001-01-12 15:07:14 UTC
Message: 11
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:00:11 +0100
From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1046

>[Intellicad better than Rhino? Say what? What were you trying to do that
>Rhino couldn't handle? I've been working on this very thing, trying to see
>what Vector can (and can't) do, and Rhino seems to do just fine at making
>simple 2d, square-edged forms, although this is admittedly not an ability
>that sets it apart from the crowd. Maybe if you told us what your specific
>problem was, there would be an equally simple solution. In the meantime, if
>you promise not to badmouth Rhino around here any more, I will forbear from
>venting about Vector in this forum- although I've been cursing it plenty
>under my breath lately...]

Hi Andrew, just testing to see if you were still awake. ;-) For every body that can hear my "Voice", Rhino is a great design tool for the money. It was developed by a major Autocad dealer, and as such has an interface & features that complement Autocad and lend themselves to the Autocad user's learning curve. Andrew is a dealer and consistently offers good pricing.

I don't have a problem with Rhino, if a hobbyist wants to make a couple of drawings, a free copy of Intellicad(an Autocad clone developed by Visio corporation and spun off into semi-public domain when Microsoft bought Visi-Cad) is a good solution and he probably does not need to spend any money to buy a CAD program. If however he needs to make a complex flowing, "organic" shape Intellicad does not have this capability & it may then be time to spend some money. Rhino has much more than what many of us dabblers in CNC really need. It also has a more difficult learning curve, as the 3D concepts are more complex, and there are more things to learn. The #1 reason that I recommend Rhino to people is that it has a GREAT iges file, surface translator, as well as several other CAD formats. The last I looked at Rhino in detail the only insurmountable problem was lack of dimensioning. I believe that some of this capability was addressed in a later version, but I am under the impression that the Developer's don't really want to make Rhino a competitor to Autocad.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at: http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2001-01-12 15:07:14 UTC Cad Rhino VS Intellicad?, was Manual programming Smoke 2001-01-12 16:02:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cad Rhino VS Intellicad?, was Manual programming