CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re:Re: RE: Paper dwgs

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-01-13 14:06:41 UTC
Doug H wrote:
>Virtually every CAD file sent to me has so many errors (line
>disconnects, holes placed incorrectly, etc.) that I have to -
>1. Redraw them from scratch so the CAM will accept them, or
>2. just print them out and program by hand.

Big DITTO!

>The instructors tended to teach "board" habits, such as changing a
>dimension by editing the number instead of changing the actual
>feature. Line disconnects often come from sketching a line so it
>looks right instead of entering coordinates. Many tech school
>grads don't even understand cartesian coordinates.

Good points.

>How many of you are still getting drawings with the archaic "do not
>scale drawing" in the title block? Give me a minute to put on my
flame suit.<snip>

Doug,

I work in product design and development, and often am amazed at the
amount of "industrial espionnage" that can be done from VRML and CAD
models/ drawings which are 'freely' available(catalogs/ websites/
photos).

I generally advise that in a competitive industry it is bad practice
to "put it all out there". Some will say, "hey, it's time for a
truly 'open' world. Sure. How many of us buy Taiwan "ripoffs" of
American or European tools? There will always be someone who will let
you do their work "for them". The Defense and automotive industry
have known this for years.

I agree with your post and points. Just wanted to point out that
sometimes the drawings are "messed up" for a reason...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. If I am asking you to make a part for me, I NEED to do my best
to give you what you need. But,...
I have often tried REALLY hard to give a shop what they wanted. Many
have had similar experiences (as you have) and WON'T work with me to
HELP them! And me, since the easier it is for you, the better it 'can
be' for me...

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2001-01-13 14:06:41 UTC re:Re: RE: Paper dwgs ballendo@y... 2001-01-13 15:46:29 UTC Re: RE: Paper dwgs