CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

proper steppers wasRe: Taig retrofit servo motors

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-01-13 14:36:23 UTC
Roman wrote:
>Hi, yes the typical axis leadscrew speeds would be
>handy, and the preferred speeds too if it is possible.

Roman,

There are 'more than a few' NON-leadscrew machines out there!

As I said before, this is a BIG question. I'm afraid that the range I
would 'have to' give (as an answer) will do little to help you. Can
you pick a more specific application? For example, even "plain"
aluminum milling is done at rates from < 20IPM to 600+ IPM by
machines and people on this list. For each person, the answer (<20 to
600+) is "typical"!?!

>Most of these new low inductance stepper motors provide excellent
>power at higher revs, but because people use cheaper drivers the
>motors can never reach their full potential. I see it all the time,
>people buying the lowest inductance motors, and never running them
>over 10rps. They would have done better buying motors whose max
>power is in the correct rev range.<s>

I remember when I first started hearing, "low inductance motors. Low
inductance motors... " instead of "match the drives, motors, and
usage". You bring up a good point, IMO.

>I am mainly trying to determine the expected performance from servo
>axis drives, as I think some of the new stepper drivers can approach
>this performance, and since people already have the low inductance
>motors... ;o)

How about telling US what we can expect from the u-step drives you've
been 'hinting' at? :-) Then, we can tell you whether they represent
something we would use...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread