CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: re:microstepping speed?

Posted by Terry Ackland
on 2001-01-13 17:37:28 UTC
---Ballendo,
thanks for the reply. I am using Maxpro step and direction software.
I find it perfect for the 2d projects I work on.
I am using a rack and pinion feed arrangement and the pinion is about
1 in dia, this gives me about .007 per step with a half step
controller. I am happy with the rapid move rate but would like to
smooth out the feed controlled moves especially for climb cutting.
Would the G201 give me a smoother feed rate without loosing too much
rapid rate?
Thanks Terry

In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:
> Terry A wrote:
> <snip>I have been lead to believe that the speed of the computer
> >controls the maximum speed a stepper can reach? So if I used
> >microstepping the stepper will run slower unless I upgrade my
> >computer because more pulses are required? I use a dos g code
> >interpreter and an old 386!
>
> Terry,
>
> in the absence of external hardware (which could be an 'internal'
> card!?!) you are correct. The computer speed will place a limit on
> how fast steps can be output at the p port. Different controller
> programs will have differing 'top speeds' on a given computer (some
> programmers are more efficient than others :-) ).
>
> Dancam/Danplot had a "multiplier" built into the program for use
with
> servos. It "spit out" multiple pulses per 'step' to deal with
"empty"
> resolution. I didn't use that feature, but thought it may be good
for
> you to know about it.
>
> Which interpreter program are you using?
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo
>
> P.S. And of course, this IS precisely the issue the gecko pulse
> multiplying drives are designed to fix. (1 pulse in , 10 pulses out)

Discussion Thread

Terry Ackland 2001-01-13 13:18:21 UTC microstepping speed? ballendo@y... 2001-01-13 15:12:32 UTC re:microstepping speed? Tim Goldstein 2001-01-13 15:31:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] microstepping speed? Terry Ackland 2001-01-13 17:37:28 UTC Re: re:microstepping speed? ballendo@y... 2001-01-13 18:09:12 UTC re:Re: re:microstepping speed?