CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1061

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2001-01-16 13:54:35 UTC
>Message: 21
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:53:46 -0500
> From: "Carlos Guillermo" <carlos@...>
>Subject: Vector CAM interpreters/posts for IndexerLPT?
>
>I’ve read here about the many types of g-code output that Vector
>can be configured for. Does anyone (read: Fred) know if there
>is/could be a “post” for IndexerLPT?

As far as I know there is not one completed. I have looked at it a couple of times, and even have an old copy of the DOS indexer in my inventory, but have not had a chance to work on it. In the old versions, arcs were not supported except as angular callouts. In the new windows version of indexer, I have noticed that there is a "G-Code, X-Y-I-J" format arc command. It may be possible to now support linear feeds & rapids, and arcs. If not arcs, Vector can interpolate the arcs at the desired accuracy and generate linear moves to approximate the arcs. This was done for a couple of years for the Shopbot, as they did not support anything close to a g-code arc.

One of the problems in interfacing to indexer LPT, is that each system is different. It uses the number of steps in the commands, rather than an absolute or relative positioning system. This is fairly easy to accomplish in Vector by setting the scale factors on the individual axes to multiply by the number of steps per inch/mm, etc. Each system would have to be tweaked with the correct numbers, and then Vector can generate code exactly as needed for that mill, router, etc. If the given axis was set at 2000 steps per inch, a scale of 2000 would generate a value of X2000, instead of X1.0.

The reason that I have not done one of these are 2 fold 1) Ability systems has in the past not been friendly to 3rd part developers IMHO 2) In order to make a reliable post for this software, a working test system is needed. It is just too different from G-code and complex to attempt to make a post & just send it out without testing.

If there is a Vector customer with a system that is willing to spend some time testing, I would be glad to work with them to develop the post.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at: http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2001-01-16 13:54:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1061