CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rochester, NY, search lathe service machine ends ball screw

Posted by Les Watts
on 2001-01-23 05:55:02 UTC
Hi Wilfrid!

Yes ball screw end machining and end supports can be a considerable expense.

I usually get quotes of around $150 per end for end machining
from THK, BSA, or the like. Sometimes a little less.

The end bearing blocks are about $350 or so each.

I do all end machining on my ballscrews as well as make
end blocks but when the shop time is added up it is about the
cost of the commercial ones. But I don't have to shell out the cash at
least.

The ballscrews are usually hardened. I leave them hard and use carbide or
grinding to cut through the case. The core is
about rc40 or so for many. It is soft enough to do the bearing
locknut threads and other machining. End machining must be very accurate. I
use a Themac j40 tool post grinder.

My bearing block design uses duplexed 40 degree angular contact bearings in
the db configuration. It provides a "fixed" type support. I use ABEC1 in
most but sometimes ABEC5 or 7. A pair of ABEC1's are about $30. ABEC7's are
about $150.
(that is just for the bearings)
I am a bit far away to do your machining for you but I would be glad to
share my bearing endblock design if you want. I can send a .dxf.

I fear you will have to bite the bullet and pay for the end machining. Use a
shop that is familiar with that kind if work though. It requires great
precision. One little messup and
you have a very expensive length of bar stock.

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA
http://www.rabun.net/~leswatts/wattsfurniturewp.html