CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw / endblock machining (was Rochester, NY, search...)

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2001-01-23 07:31:47 UTC
Carlos Guillermo wrote:

> I don't have a toolpost grinder, so I'm hoping I can get close enough
> on my lathe, taking very light cuts.

Carlos,

It's the part of the shaft that passes through the bearing's inner race
that really ought to be ground. Not everyone has a toolpost grinder, but
there is an alternative. I've lapped the last half thou off with
Aluminum oxide hand stones. This is a slow tedious process but can
produce a finish that rivals grinding. You want to get as close to final
dim as possible, .0003 to .0005 five is about an idea amount to leave
for hand work. More takes longer. Less might clean up faster than you
expect. If you are not getting a good finish on your light cuts, then
leave more, maybe even up to .0015. If you are careful, a very fine file
will clean up a poor finish and get you close. Like hand scraping, stop
and check often.
You also will need a tenths reading micrometer, or be really good at
interpolating between the thou marks.

Jon Anderson 2001-01-23 07:31:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw / endblock machining (was Rochester, NY, search...) Les Watts 2001-01-23 09:11:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw / endblock machining (was Rochester, NY, search...) Smoke 2001-01-23 10:46:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw / endblock machining (was Rochester, NY, search...) Les Watts 2001-01-23 12:28:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw / endblock machining (was Rochester, NY, search...)