CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Is this too nuts etc

Posted by beer@s...
on 2001-01-26 10:10:31 UTC
On 25 Jan, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com wrote:
> Perfectly possible.
>
> I have cut threads on a Taig CNC mill by using my stepper-driven dividing
> head (a converted Taig headstock) to rotate the part while milling the
> thread out using a V-tipped engraving cutter with the right angle of V at
> the tip - see the penultimate photo on the following web-page:

Oooh, now this I like. Especially since my current, just about
finished project, is an indexing fixture !

I bought 2 double-sided index plates with divisors from 20 to 99 and
matching tailstock at auction for $10.00 Found some rusty but
salvageable 4" OD 2.5" ID ABEC 10 bearings for 2 bucks a piece. Made
a base, a column, a shaft and a reverseable faceplate to bolt to the
shaft. Dividing plates bolt to one side of the shaft, faceplate to
the other. Faceplate is reverseable to accept my 3 jaw or 4 jaw
chucks. Shaft bored MT3 to match my other tooling AND BORED THROUGH
to allow me to attack long thin shafts.

In fact, I initially thought of stepperizing <?> this device, but put
that off until later, not knowing why I'd need to. ( That's what the
accurate holes are for, aren't they ? )

I thought about stepperizing it again for this threading task, but
again dismissed it and started thinking about the stepperized spindle.
Not sure what was going through my head, though, as the indexer is a
lot easier to modify AND I get to use a ball end endmill instead of
trying to grind a lathe cutter of just the right radius.

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2001-01-26 10:10:31 UTC Re: Re: Is this too nuts etc machines@n... 2001-01-26 12:55:04 UTC Re: Is this too nuts etc