CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

PC-based CNC controler?

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2001-01-29 22:24:12 UTC
Sven Peter, TAD S.A. wrote:

> Hello everybody, specially Ray,

welcome

> OK, I am one of the micrometer fighting metal machinists. Because I rebuild the machinery of other shops (including very nice
> CNC-Monsters up to 7 tons) I can't afford any mistakes.

> So there must be some supplier on the market who can give you out of one hand
> a well working software with some interface cards, reasonable priced converters,
> accurate motors and encoders that fit together.
> And where you don't have to fiddle for months until it works more or less.

This is a bit upscale from the usual here. Might I suggest
http://www.centroidcnc.com/ in the US$10K-20K range complete with
motors.

Thats probably the lowest price you'll pay for a decent integrated commercial
system (motors, controllers, computer & software).

If thats too much, you'll be wanting to rig your own computer with
Linux/EMC software http://www.isd.cme.nist.gov/projects/emc
servo drives from Mr Bills http://www.isomedia.com/homes/billmw/,
possibly also sold by Dan Mauch http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/
with encoders (also sold by Dan).

Perhaps Jon's drivers will be ready soon ( Jon Elson <jmelson@...> )
and don't overlook Mariss' Geckodrives http://www.geckodrive.com/
which many might consider to be your best bet.

If you are willing to entrust such large machines to Windows and DOS,
there are several good free and inexpensive (ie under $200) programs too.

Doug

Discussion Thread

Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-01-29 21:18:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC-based CNC controler? Doug Fortune 2001-01-29 22:24:12 UTC PC-based CNC controler? Tom Eldredge 2001-01-30 08:49:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC-based CNC controler? Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-01-31 05:36:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC-based CNC controler?