CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: VM-B Myford Mill import

on 2001-02-25 13:52:33 UTC
Thanks,

I see your point, I should be able to find it imported here. As the
VM-B is still a Taiwan import, and the "baby" is a JET from China $3400,
8 x 35 table. I don't think I've found my next mill yet. The JET is
hardly a "baby", as I found out. Anyone know where Issaquah, WA. is?
Guy is in B. C.

I don't feel I can evaluate an import machine, or any machine for that
matter! Too bad Myford doesn't build their OWN machine! Or Sherline
doesn't build a "big brother" <harp off>.

Any clues as what to look for in a big mill? Bridgeports are a
standard, Should be others I can learn about.

Alan KM6VV

machines@... wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@e..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> > Hi to the list,
> >
> > Have any of you chaps in the U.K. seen the VM-B mill that Myford is
> > importing from Taiwan?
> >
> > http://www.lautard.com/
> >
> > Look under Myford, for the mill pix at the bottom.
> >
> > It was mentioned before on one of the lists. What do people think?
> > Approximate price and shipping is around $2000 USD, figuring about
> $625
> > for shipping and packing to west coast U.S. Guy also mentions
> a "Baby"
> > Bridgeport.
> >

> Alan,
> Myfords have been importing this for quite a while. In the early days
> they stripped them down and rebuilt them, put either UK or French
> electrics on and sold them.
> The same machine has always been available here from various
> importers at a lower cost and usually at a lower standard.
> Over the years though there has been massive investment in Taiwanese
> industry with CNC taking over from the old hand produced machines and
> the quality has risen sharply.
>
> This same machine is still offered in the UK by importers such as
> Warco and Chester [ no connection ]and is now to the same standard as
> the Myford one. Last year in the search for a new lathe I examined a
> lot of imported machine tools and was very impressed by the quality
> and features offered. I would now go as far as to say that I can't
> see how, other than a paint job Myfords could improve the quality of
> one of these machines, electrics excepted.
>
> As these are just straight imports there must be importers in the US
> Jet,?? Grizzly ?? MSC, ?? or others who offer the same machine.
> >From a current issue of Model Engineer the Chester offered model is
> priced at 1450UKP [ $2175 ]complete with electrics etc. Bear in mind
> that we pay far higher in the UK for something like this than you in
> the US due to import taxes.
>
> One machine I saw at a recent show was a Chester displayed mill.
> Three quarter Bridgeport size with a table at about 6 x 32, it was a
> horizontal mill with a swiveling turret a'la Bridgeport on the top so
> you got the best of both worlds. The vertical head was on a single
> swivel, not a double knuckle, quill feed and seperate motor. The
> whole setup probably weighed about 500 - 600 pounds and was very well
> made. This carried a price tag of 3000 UKP [ $4500 ]As a price guide
> the Bridgeport clones were 5000 UKP
> Unfortunatly they had no leaflets on it and I don't have a Chester
> catalogue. I guessed that they had only just started importing it as
> non of the other stands had anything like it.
>
> Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the discussion of shop built systems, for CAD, CAM, EDM, and DRO.

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-24 12:05:24 UTC VM-B Myford Mill import machines@n... 2001-02-25 03:22:38 UTC Re: VM-B Myford Mill import Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-25 13:52:33 UTC Re: VM-B Myford Mill import dave engvall 2001-02-25 14:14:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: VM-B Myford Mill import