CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: volts? (chopper drivers)

on 2001-02-27 11:10:49 UTC
Hi Dale,

Using voltages 5-10 times the "plate" rating IS common with chopper type
drivers. These drivers essentially monitor the motor winding current,
and "chop it" (rapidly turn the current on and off) at a 20 Khz or so
rate, to limit the current to the motor's rating. Usually this is done
with a bipolar driver. L298 type stepper drivers will do this for you.
The net effect is to get the current up to max in the winding faster,
which means the motor can accelerate faster. The lower inductance of
these motors with low voltage ratings helps, too.

Alan KM6VV

"W. Dale Smith" wrote:

> A few days ago, someone said something like... "since we commonly use voltages 5 or 10 times..."
>
> Does this mean I really don't need to worry about finding a 4.5 VDC power supply 'cause that's what's printed on the motor?
>
> All of the posts I have found seem to skip around this subject... maybe like everyone (except me) already knows... so, what is the deal on acceptable step motor voltage ranges?
>
> WD Smith

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-27 11:10:49 UTC Re: volts? (chopper drivers)