CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:minimill thoughts

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2001-03-10 12:41:44 UTC
Message: 20
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 18:00:44 -0000
From: ballendo@...
Subject: minimill thoughts was Re: Dead Grizzly speed control/VFD

Ron,

Thank you. It's a fine answer. What I can't figure out is why
everybody makes the x axis travel so short (about 9 inches). Joe M at
sherline says its because the extrusion warp and twist becomes
excessive to machine away in longer lengths, but what's the grizzly
excuse? poseidon? Prazi? MaxNC (could be same as Sherline)? REX?
Myford? Shipping cost of the extra cast iron?

Wm. Dubin and I have had an offlist(sherline list) conversation
regarding a "bigger" sherline, but still little. Like a sherline with
a 3 slot table (same spacing) and a 7 inch Y (2000 mill base) and a
12 inch X? I bet the person who brings this (or something like it in
cast iron) to market will do well!

The MaxNC 15 is close, but pretty expensive. And that lousy motor
setup, IMO.

Ballendo

[Have you seen the new Taig LE (Larger Envelope) machine? It's not cast
iron, but they do use a considerable amount of steel in its construction.
The x travel is 12", but y travel is the same as their other mill (5.5"-
I'd like to see that extended too), It has 6" of z travel, and the box z
ways assembly can be moved up on the square steel column to accommodate
larger workpieces (perhaps losing some rigidity, though.) I have requested
them to cut the column a little longer to deal with this in the LE
machines, which might happen when they get a "round tuit". As I mentioned a
while ago, I'm in the process of converting one of these to servo, using
geckodrives and Dan Mauch's motors, control box, etc. As a CNC-ready mill
frame, I think it's an excellent value at $832 (my price). With a servo
system (Taig plans to offer one, as soon as they get that tuit) they're
going to have a hard time keeping up with demand.]

Andrew
http://www.computersculpture,com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff