CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

3 Phase power

on 2001-03-13 12:44:16 UTC
Armilite@... wrote:

> Hello:
> Does anyone know someone who sells, a replacement one phase 220v, or
better
> yet a 110v motor to replace the 3 phase 220v
> Lima Electric Motor on my Powermatic variable speed, model 1150 drill
press i
> just bought at the ISU sale, the motor Serail Number
> is R73476JB, model 4A, 3/4 HP, Type RV, Frame 72, 1200 RPM. The motor is
> good, I just don't have 3 phase 220v in my garage.
> Thanks for any help you can give.

In this case, where you only have one machine that requires 3 phase, and a
3/4 hp motor at that, I would recommend that you simply make the drill press
motor itself into a rotary phase convertor. What I mean by this, is that by
adding a run capacitor to the 3rd leg of the motor, and hooking the other
two up to 220V single phase, you will be able to start and run the drill
press fine. In fact, you will get nearly all of the original 3/4 hp out of
the motor.
Look for the plans for a rotary (or even static) phase convertor on
the web. The dropbox for the news group rec.crafts.metalworking has good
plans on rotary phase convertors. What you will be doing, is essentially
making the drill presses own motor into a rotary convertor, and using it as
is, not hooking it up to another motor. Or, more simply put, generating the
3rd leg for the motor with the capacitor. Some would call this a static
convertor. This will likely allow it to start and run off the original
switch.
In all, you should be able to get the drill press going fine for
less than $30 US, and maybe even for free, if you can get a suitable run
capacitor. In my opinion, every home shop'er should at least understand a
bit about 3 phase, because so many industrial castoffs can be had cheaply
with three phase motors. The motors are dead simple, only bearings,
armature, and field coil.
While a VFD is going to give speed control, and allow you to use
single phase power, is will be a more costly solution to get one motor
running.

Brad

Discussion Thread

Heuver, Brad (B.R.) 2001-03-13 12:44:16 UTC 3 Phase power Tim Goldstein 2001-03-13 15:25:22 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 Phase power