CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Versatec 3444 plotter- recommendations?

LtCdr ChonBey vestai-Qul wrote:

> I have an opportunity to get an old Versatec 3444 plotter, cheap.
> Free, in fact. From what little info I can glean from the web, it is a
> 44 inch wide plotter and that Versatec is out of business.

Not exactly. Somebody bought them, etc. etc. I know somewhere
in there, they were owned by Xerox, who is not doing so well right
now. But, I think that Xerox sold them to Calcomp, which is now
part of Lockheed/Martin. But, that could be wrong.

> My whole purpose in getting this would be to retrofit it into a
> router. Something that may only handle very easily cut materials like
> foam and possibly plastic.

A router? HUH? Have you seen this thing? Obviously not.
It is an ELECTROSTATIC printer, primarily designed for generating
'plots'. Paper is moved across a printhead the full width of the paper,
that charges the paper up, so that toner particles attach to the paper.
It is really a wet-process version of a laser printer, only in wide-format.
It will be of no use as a router, as there is nothing that moves except the
paper roller, and the paper, of course. And, it moves at a constant
rate of about 1 IPS. So, there is ONE rather large stepper motor in there,
and that is about all you'll get, other than about 500 Lbs of scrap metal,
and some rods, shafts and bearings.

> Does anyone here know anything about this plotter? I think it uses
> HPGL, I can't find an actual driver anywhere.

No, it uses DMA transfers of raster data directly from a CPU, or from
a RIP (Raster Image Processor) that takes a proprietary data format.

> Is it a pen plotter or
> an inkjet plotter? Anyone know where I can find a picture?

As I said above, neither! If you want generic pictures of these units,
look under "electrostatic plotter" or printer.

> It may be gone already, but if it is not I want to make sure I won't
> be just paying to through this monster away. Even if I can only use it
> as a pen plotter, I can use it to make signs.

It would be of little use to you. I think the 3444 is monochrome, only.
It uses UGLY paper (coated with something that feels like wet chalk)
and GHASTLY toner, that smells like printing ink. If you get it on
you, that clothing is good for the rag bag! It even takes a week of
showers to wash it off your skin! I know, I used these at work for
10 years, and am not sorry to see the beasts go!

LtCdr ChonBey vestai-Qul 2001-03-13 21:22:07 UTC Versatec 3444 plotter- recommendations? Jon Elson 2001-03-13 22:29:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Versatec 3444 plotter- recommendations?