CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: ok don't laugh AMIGA by COMMODORE

on 2001-03-18 14:06:11 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., marble_h@y... wrote:
> ok I have a old AMIGA 500 by Commodore with the big 1meg addon card.
> Now with me still tring to learn a few things about computers can I
> use it as DRO or even run some of the newer programs on it I heard
> the commodore had it's own opperating system .But will not dos run
> in it .. Like I said don't fall over laughing to hard ok

I will not laugh, check out my website for graphics done on an Amiga.
http://www.polyphoto.com

It has its own proprietary operating system, so just like any other
computer you can only run programs written to run on it.

Too bad, it is probably closer to an RTOS than MSDOS. ;') And still
has a real multitasking GUI.

I think you'd end up having to write your own software for it if you
wanted to use it with G-Code and other buzz words. If you are
intending on using it to run a hacked-up HP plotter or other HPGL/GPGL
plotter made into an engraver, there are several old programs for the
Amiga that speak this language. A 500 is a bit on the low end to run
them, however.

My current project is converting an HP 7470 into a small engraver. The
idea is to beef up the drive to the steppers and use more powerful
steppers.

It has occurred to me to use one of the many Amigas I have around here
to drive this.

A company used to sell a vinyl cutter driver for the Amiga, the
company is long gone. Old programs that have HPGL/GPGL output for the
Amiga are still out there, like ProDraw, ProVector, etc.

However, in the end you may find it a lot easier to just get a cheap
486 and use existing programs. I just saw someone local to me selling
an all-in-one, ie, built in the monitor 486 with CDRom drive for about
$50.

But don't throw that A500 away!

Steve Greenfield
I use what works

Discussion Thread

marble_h@y... 2001-03-18 08:37:36 UTC ok don't laugh AMIGA by COMMODORE kleinbauer@j... 2001-03-18 10:35:21 UTC Re: ok don't laugh AMIGA by COMMODORE thomasm923@a... 2001-03-18 12:19:22 UTC Amiga - Throw it away? Nooooo!!!! kleinbauer@j... 2001-03-18 12:32:55 UTC Re: Amiga - Throw it away? Nooooo!!!! LtCdr ChonBey vestai-Qul 2001-03-18 14:06:11 UTC Re: ok don't laugh AMIGA by COMMODORE