CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]EMC Black Box - was Re:: Can CNCPro users provide some input?

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2001-03-21 16:16:00 UTC
Hi Bill,

Funnily enough I've just managed to get my windoze box to drive EMC
properly. At the moment the linux box still has its display, keyboard etc.
in place but it seems perfectly practical not to have. I am using a free
program called vnc which enables you to bring up the desktop of any computer
on any other. Driving a linux box from windows requires a bit more fiddling
than the other way round but it didn't take me long to figure it out and I
can now bring up the kde desktop on the windoze box, fire up EMC and make
the motors turn on the floor above ( I'm about knackered this afternoon from
running up and down stairs to see that the motors actually turned as much as
I told 'em to!!!).
A couple of days ago when I first loaded vnc I tried driving the windoze box
from the linux one - a piece of cake and, unlike windows to linux which
effectively takes over complete control of the linux box, that way acts
almost transparently and just gives you another screen onto the windoze box
and a second keyboard. The first time I tried it there was an ear-splitting
scream from downstairs - the wife was playing 'Scrabble' on the windoze box
and the letters just seemed to start moving round the screen on their own
and spelling naughty words!! ;o} I wonder what caused that?
Anyway, the short answer is that, yes, it is possible to drive EMC from a
remote windoze box - just download a copy of vnc and have a play around with
it.
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
www.cam-orl.co.uk , http://www.tightvnc.com/
Ian