CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Linux and Dos - was from Norway

Posted by Ray Henry
on 1999-08-17 07:50:09 UTC
Arnie

I ran a PC with win95 and Linux for a couple months and liked it a lot.
Under Linux the dos partition (1 gig) came up as hda1 and automounted as
/win. I didn't come up with any errors that I could attribute to the dual
boot. But I had some problems with rtlinux. Tim's script didn't work.
When I tried it, Linux and rtlinux would attempt to boot but somewhere in
the middle of startup I'd get a message that the system could not start an
initial console - de endungen. Or as 'da youppers (natives of Michigan's
Upper Peninsula) around me might say in their best Spanish, "nada t'ing."
Neither the rt nor the original would go. Win95 was fine, after I put the
reference to it back into Lilo.conf. I know. Tim said his script would
only work with a RH5.2 workstation install.

I cleaned it all up again and did a manual install of rt. Wow! Is that a
trick. But I did get emc back on and (run.sim) going. I didn't have a
machine tool to test it on and didn't know about Matt's 64step stuff then.
I don't think that sim uses the rt.) I tested the rt modules with /frank
and got "Frank, Frank, Frank, and Zappa, Zappa.

I wonder if there is a way to modify Tim's script - or write one - that
will allow you to install a 1 gig or so dos-win partition first. (or use
fips if you've got the guts and windows already) A workstation install
will leave the dos-win partition alone - but sets up the Linux partitions
differently than it would if it were working on a clean drive. Then this
revised script would install the rt components and Matt's 64step.

Then if we manufactured a little 25 pin terminator with led's (can you see
a 50 microsecond pulse?) and a couple momentary switches we'd have an EMC
system that would set up and test out in a couple hours while still
allowing the faint hearted and single computered to run a windows space.
Box it up with a donated 5.2 disk, a set of EMC disks, the rt install disk,
and some documentation and anyone who wanted to could try it out. We could
keep a list of who's next on CAD_CAM_ _ and just ship it around.

BTW - I used to cut up wild rabbits at a hundred yards with an old water
cooled Browning that we kids had retooled. Definitely ragged cuts and we
quickly ran out of shells and money - never out of rabbits.

Ray