CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MONDO Stepper Wiring

on 2001-04-04 10:40:41 UTC
Hi Jeff,

Whew! That's a lotta wires! Are you sure there isn't an encoder in
there? You're probably right, 4 phases, w/ center taps. You can ohm
them out. If they are indeed 4-phase motors, You'll have to work out a
suitable step sequence, and use a LOT of darlington's! Try to find a
winding diagram and data on the motors! Astrosyn is a well known (?)
name, there might be data on them, or a similar model with the same
wiring.

It might not be worth it to build "custom" drivers for one-of-a-kind (as
far as you're concerned) motors. If you connected them up unipolar,
you'd have 8 phases??! I've wired up "unknown" 4-phase unipolar
steppers, and "cycled" through the stepping permutations (about 6), but
you'd probably have close to 24 permutations to work out and try! Could
be instructive, 'tho! Lotsa luck!

Alan KM6VV
(two steps forward, one step back)

rocketsmith@... wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I've been reading the "stepper wiring" thread with interrest, and have
> found it most helpful, being a beginner at this. I'm hoping you can
> help me with my own stepper wiring project.
>
> Some time ago, I bought a couple of industrial micro-positioning x-y
> tables and their(?) large control cabinets (as scrap), planning on
> someday using them for parts to build cnc machine tools. The time has
> come, but I was not prepared to find that each stepper motor has 12
> wires. There are 2 pairs of motors in two sizes. The smaller motors
> are
>
> Astrosyn Stepper
> Type 23pr-E202-03
> 2.0 v/phase no. 9x11
>
> The larger motors are
>
> Astrosyn Miniangle Stepper
> Type 34PR-F001
> 2.0 v/phase
> 2.33/1.27 A/phase
> 0.45 degrees/step
>
> The wires from both types of motors are
>
> Black
> Black and White
> Green
> Green and White
> Blue
> Blue and White
> Red
> Red and White
> Brown
> Orange
> Yellow
> White
>
> Neither motor is listed on Astrosyn's website.
>
> Has anyone come across these before? From your replies to the "stepper
> wiring" thread, I'm guessing that there are 4 center-tapped windings,
> yielding the 12 wires. From this, I could wire the 4 center taps
> together and drive the 8 resulting 'phases' directly from the printer
> port using power transistors, but I would need one parallel port per
> axis, and this would limit the number of devices that could be
> controlled, and the choices of software I could use to drive them.
>
> Have I got it right so far? I haven't removed the steppers from the
> tables yet to do resistive measurements- I wanted to get a better
> handle on things before I started dismantling, and the larger table
> requires my engine hoist to move around(200+lbs)- You never know when
> someone may need a 1" precision table to mount an engine block on.
>
> I would rather drive these steppers with a step-direction controller,
> but I haven't yet seen a circuit on the web for an 8 phase motor, let
> alone one with 12 leads. Does anyone even make a chip for this? Could
> I wire the coils in four pairs of two coils to provide more torqe and
> less accuracy, and use a more conventional control chip? If so, does
> anyone know which leads should be wired together, or how I would
> determine this? Are there any suitable chips at Radio Shack(herressy,
> I know, but they are local, and I could do this faster)?
>
> If it helps at all, the cabinets that came with the tables are labeled
>
> PEM SIX LORAN

> [...]

Discussion Thread

rocketsmith@n... 2001-04-04 02:14:54 UTC MONDO Stepper Wiring Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-04-04 10:40:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MONDO Stepper Wiring