CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Re: RE: DOS/EMC aka DeskNCrt now freely available

Posted by Ray
on 2001-04-06 08:04:10 UTC
Dave

If you are thinking normal PC, it sounds to me like you are describing the
BDI to a tee. The mini installs, eg floppy require some pretty severe and careful
cutting. Ron Ginger could help here. He manages mini Linux for part of a
living. He took one look at my RH 5.2 at NAMES last year and concluded
that I had 3x more stuff running than I needed.

From: dave engvall <dengvall@...>

>Also on my shopping list is a script or what ever
>that pretty much cleans the fluff off a RH install
>or even a debian install. Systems that run emc
>don't need much on them and it would be nice to
>have a minimum install that did the job and
>allowed the user to add extra packages as needed
>for the task at hand.

The Red Hat Package Managers, RPM, Kpackage, RpmDrake are all fairly good
for adding and removing packages. If you start your favorite as root, you
can see what has been installed and by pressing test, what will be
removed. But problems quickly come in when you try to add packages from
one distribution into another distribution. Conflicts between libraires
can be indicated by the package manager but I haven't seen one yet that
could successfully resolve these kinds of problems.

Paul added a set of files to the BDI that are an html library of all the
packages included on the disk. This should help some with adding
features because you can more easily study what the packages do.

The next level of install would be a listing of sets of RPMs or DEB's that
add or remove whole features, networking, internet, compiling emc,
EMC guis, EMC machine definitions, X-windows, and such. When you get
into some of these they get more twisted up than the branches of a Juniper
bush.

Ray

Discussion Thread

dave engvall 2001-04-05 21:36:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: RE: DOS/EMC aka DeskNCrt now freely available Ray 2001-04-06 08:04:10 UTC Re: Re: Re: RE: DOS/EMC aka DeskNCrt now freely available