CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Elevator to space. Build your own...

on 2001-04-08 13:00:52 UTC
Hi All,
This type of idea has been tried by NASA. They wanted
to lower a generator from the space shuttle on a wire. The
idea was to have a propeller spinning in the atmosphere making
energy for the shuttle when it is on the dark side of the earth.
Seems crazy! see link! I remember seeing this on the news. I
finally found the article! I was going to post this last week
but it was APRIL FOOLS DAY, so I waited. Enjoy!

http://www.padrak.com/ine/BLOWSNASA.html

John

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., <e.heritage@b...> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I think it was on here I saw a posting a while back about an
elevator to lift things to space that would be anchored to satelite.
And then there was a posting about how that might work. Well of
coarse it is that the evevator would use diamond reinforced cabling!
The plan is to use diamond dust formed by Chemical Vapor Deposition
to build big strings of diamond wiring that would be incredibly
strong. Apprently there is a substance that is theroically harder
than diamon, Beta Carbon Nitride. But they haven't been able obtain a
pure enough sample to test it out. When they do though I'm getting my
house double glazed with some!

e.heritage@b... 2001-04-08 12:10:22 UTC Elevator to space. Build your own... kleinbauer@j... 2001-04-08 13:00:52 UTC Re: Elevator to space. Build your own...