CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Elastic belt stretch, lead screw twist, and far end encoders

Posted by bheuver@f...
on 2001-04-08 18:19:47 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <jmelson@a...> wrote:

> "Heuver, Brad (B.R.)" wrote:
>
> > I finally got around to doing the math on the differences
between
> > timing belt stretch, and shaft twist.
>
> <snip>
>
> > From this whole math lesson we learned the following:
> > With the CNC described above, the belt stretch causes an error of
0.0065",
> > and the screw twist 0.0001" or simply put, the belt error is 65
times the
> > size of the lead screw twist, and ball screws are not
frictionless so
> > therefore, the belt stretch, being upstream of the friction, will
be even
> > greater than this.
>
> Thanks much for doing this exercise! Very useful info. It does
look like
> it is important to put the encoder on the leadscrew, not the motor,
as I
> suspected. (Of course, there are other sources of error in
addition to
> stretch, too.) I'm surprised at how little twist there is on the
screw.

> Jon

It helps me understand better to put the torque on the lead screw in
ftlbs. 100inlb torque is 8 1/3 ftlbs. If we condiser that we
routinely torque 7/16" car wheel lug nuts to 75+ftlb, vs the 8.3 on
the much larger lead screw, it seems more reasonable. In fact, we
probably put that much torque into a 1/4" tap.
Now that tap really has some twist!
Brad

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2001-04-06 11:46:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Elastic belt stretch, lead screw twist, and far end encoders bheuver@f... 2001-04-08 18:19:47 UTC Re: Elastic belt stretch, lead screw twist, and far end encoders