CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC lathe designs

on 2001-04-09 18:59:50 UTC
Carlos,

Depending on the type of work you'll be doing a tailstock may or may
not be needed.

There was a time when large machines that would need a tailstock to
make use of their capacity came with a tailstock which was included
in the base price. Nowadays, it seems the come-on ads for new
machines feature a base price that looks very attractive, then you
read the fine print and see that the tailstock you need will cost
$12,000 more.

Incidently, here's a little fun fact from a long ago article in one
of the industry mags related to high production turning. "98% of all
turned parts are less than 1" in diameter and less than 2" long".
Which could be interpreted to mean relatively few turned parts
require a tailstock.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Carlos Guillermo" <carlos@v...> wrote:
> To all –
>
> Can anyone please explain to me the common layouts for CNC lathes,
regarding
> tool turrets, toolholders, etc.? I was thinking of CNC'ing a
lathe, and was
> wondering about the use of a tailstock in a CNC application. Do
CNC lathes
> come with tailstocks?? The ones I've seen didn't, but had a tool
turret
> instead. Would this be considered the tailstock then? I was
trying to
> figure out how to setup the controller/axes, and I imagine the tool
turret
> would require a third axis. What would this be called (U,V,W,
etc.)?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Carlos Guillermo
> VERVE Engineering & Design

Carlos Guillermo 2001-04-09 11:27:17 UTC CNC lathe designs Brian Pitt 2001-04-09 12:21:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC lathe designs Jon Elson 2001-04-09 13:40:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC lathe designs dougrasmussen@c... 2001-04-09 18:59:50 UTC Re: CNC lathe designs