CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Building EMC software

on 2001-04-10 12:55:00 UTC
Thanks for the info!
Bruce Roberts (the naval architect of the vessel I'm considering) told me that
approximately $30,000 USD of the cost of his metal kit is or cuting charges!
That's what's motivating me to think about building a cutting machine.

Regarding contouring: what is that? Can it be done with EMC?

Regarding OS: I am an electronics engineer by profession and a longtime Linux
user, so my OS of choice is actually Linux. The open source software model is
also my first choice :)

I was thinking about proximity control also. Can EMC run that too? How about a
simple mechanical follower?

Keith

> Concerning EMC.
>
> What is called "brain dead install" (BDI) CD which has the linux operating
system and EMC has been created by list members and will
> be available at the North American Model Engineer's Show I think the last
weekend in April. This is what I plan on starting my EMC
> adventures with.
>
> To answer your question about supporting the sheet I have seen it several
ways. There are little ceramic pyramids that you can buy
> for this purpose and this I have seen on really big flame cutters. An easier
way is to just use .125" Hot rolled flat bar (whatever
> thickness you need for strength I.E., 2" or 3") that is standing on end.
You make a grill out of these and make them easily
> replaceable. For long spans you may need to support them in the middle.
There are also several variations of this method.
> Underneath you lay down fire brick or a shallow tub of water. Water will help
with the dust control.

> I made a 12" by 24" plasma gantry that had a wooden frame and .125" by 2" flat
bars that fit into Dados cut in the wood frame. This
> worked very well. The resolution was .015" and feed rates of up to 200
inches/minute. I strongly suggest that you KNOW what your
> requred cutting speeds will be and design your system to run at these speeds.
I found the .015" resolution to be totally
> acceptable, but the first machine I built ran way too slow and just melted the
material I was trying to cut. If you are cutting
> thin (.060" or less) sheet then you need to move really fast.
>
> I'm sure you are aware that a 9 by 25 foot plasma cutter will probably occupy
a space of about 12 by 30 feet or more.
> I also think that if you are spending enough money to build that big of a
gantry that you go with CNCpro as the controller. It's
> only 150 bucks and has excellent performance on contouring (which is critical
for consistent cutting), it has virtually no learning
> curve and works on any old PC without having to learn a new operating system.
>
> You may also want to investigate gap control. On a machine that big it will
probably become an issue. If your sheet stock is wavy
> or has turned up edges then you get inconsistent flame gap which makes
inconsistent kerf, slag, burned up tips, etc. The one I have
> seen uses a proximity sensor and controls the height independant of the x,y
control.

> OUTWATER ~ KEITH J /5G3110 wrote:
>
> > Greetings all -
> > I am trying to evaluate EMC as a controller for a large plasma cutter (25' x
9'
> > capacity) that I want to build for cutting metal for a (large) boat.
> >
> > I have successfully installed rtlinux-3.0 with linux kernel 2.2.18 under
> > redhat 7.0.
> >
> > emc-1.17 dosen't want to build under this setup. I have a couple of
questions:

> > 1. EMC seems to be heavily dependent on the specific versions of the kernel
and
> > rtlinux. Is there any future plan to use the 'standard' GNU
> > autoconf/automake/configure tools to make the build process a little easier?
> > for example, I see a lot of copying and linking going on to a platform
specific
> > directory and there appear to be separate spec/definition files for each
> > platorm, OS and rtlinx variant.
> >
> > 2. If not (or in the meantime), is there an EMC package that will copile
with
> > rtlinux-3.0 and kernel 2.2.18?
> >
> > 3. Finally, for anyone out there who knows a lot about plasma cutters (I
don't):
> > a. For a large (25 x 9 foot capacity) plasma cutter, how is the plate to
be
> > cut supported? What issues are involved with the plate support as far
as
> > not interfering with the plasma jet, not welding to the workpiece,
etc... ?

> > b. What is the generally acceptable accuracy of cutters today?
> >
> > c. has anyone out there built a large (or small) plasma cutter with EMC?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Keith
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
> >
> > Addresses:
> > Post message: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
> > bill,
> > List Manager

> Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the discussion
of shop built systems, for CAD, CAM, EDM, and DRO.