CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:DeskNC - was CNC Pro 3x as fast as EMC??? NEW: PIC for controller?

on 2001-04-20 17:31:40 UTC
The Microchip and the Advanced Transdata ( I have both ) are the most
frustrating programming tools I've ever purchased. The single biggest gripe
I have is one breakpoint. I got them just to check them out.
Right now they are loaned out.

But, I'm biased. I have 3 other emulators for PIC's. The Microchip ICE2000
two of the Tech Tools Mathias.

The only pods I have for the Microchip are the 16F8XX and the 18C4XX
modules. For the Mathias I have everything from the 16C5X up to the 16F8XX.

The Mathias is the best bang for the buck. The Microchip unit lets you
emulate the latest chips before the Mathias or other non Microchip emulators
can. ( Microchip doesn't release the bondout chips to them for a while ).

If I were only a hobbiest, I'd probably live with the ICD. But since I get
paid to do PIC designs, I use the real emulators. But I spent too many years
working with real Intel ICE's and anything less than a real ICE for me just
won't do.

One thing many folks reading this might not know ( or care ) about the PIC
microcontrollers are some have an interrupt on change feature for PORTB.
With a 16F8XX chip, you can put two encoders on the upper nibble of PORTB
and when the encoder state changes an interrupt is generated. This makes
encoders much easier to use. The 16F8XX also has a hardware UART and
hardware PWM. Plus A to D converters ( 10 bit ), capture / compare and
several timers, EEPROM storage, I2C and other goodies.

If I ever get some free time back, I'm going finish my serial port based
stepper signal generator. I'm also going to port it over to USB. I've got
the USB design kit sitting here on my desk. I might even release it to the
public domain.

later,
Larry E.