CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Chinese Lathes / Smoke

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2001-04-24 17:20:45 UTC
dave engvall wrote:

> It is both a question of design and QC. The QC sheets that come with the asian imports are a joke. Some may actually meet it; others
> won't.
>
> It is too bad one cannot buy the bed, headstock and tailstock and then proceed to tune the stuff and add cnc.
> Most of the rest disappears in a cnc conversion. Notice I didn't say anything about the carriage and crossfeed IMHO that simply
> needs redesigning.

Smoke:
I have an idea for you: as 'practice casting', why don't all you guys design
a better carriage and crossfeed (with manual/CNC options) to fit one or
two of these 'standard size' Asian lathes.

Smoke would get practice casting & grinding, apparently ending up with
a popular item to sell, and perhaps usable on his new Dreamachine.
Every one else gets to have input into the design, and the option to
replace 'the bad design' with 'a better design' just ripe for CNC'ing.

Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2001-04-24 17:20:45 UTC Chinese Lathes / Smoke Smoke 2001-04-24 17:34:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Chinese Lathes / Smoke