CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Henriks Mini Mill, More detalis.

Posted by Henrik Olsson
on 2001-05-06 02:12:03 UTC
Hi,
I guess those of you having problems finding the pic's have found out by now
but they are in the file-section of this group. Just login on Yahoo and go
to the Files-section, then theres a folder called Henriks pictures.

I would like to point out that this is my first contact ever with CNC and
when I started this project I knew practicaly nothing about CNC and
machining in general. (I'm in to the electronic thing)

More details folows:
My aim with this project was to be able to automate the drilling when making
PCB's. I can do that now. I can also do some light engraving as seen in two
of the photos, but thats about it.

The ways for X&Y are some semi heavy-duty ballbearing drawerslides and for
the Z axis I've used 12mm round steel rod from an old printer.
The 'slides' on the Z is made from ~1" square steel tubing with a plastic
rod going all the way thru it drilled with 12mm. A 20mm long brass bushing
is then inserted in each end of the plastic rod.

The table is made from an 8mm thick dural-aluminum with threaded holes in a
raster of 40mm.

The leadscrews are 14mm ACME rods with a 4mm pitch and the nuts are ordinary
bronze nuts. The nut are mounted to piece of L-profile, the L-profile is
then mounted to base. I haven't measured the backlash but when engraving
the sign in the picture in the filesection the the tool returned to the
'exact' spot were it started and when drilling PCB's aprox. 2X3 inch with
about 200 holes it does a perfect job.

If you intend to engrave plastic and drill PCB's using desktop drawer slides
like I used could work but I recomend using something better. My machine is
pretty flimsy and I have some BAD resonance problems when engraving big arcs
etc - I can hear the 'retaining-plate' for the balls vibrating and the
machine looses steps - and thats NO good. On the new machine I'm building I
will use real linear slides and ballscrews.

As far as alignment goes......ehh....I just bolted the Y-slides to the base
plate and adjusted 'till it 'looked' and felt good and then put the X-axis
with the table on the Y-slides.

I will see if I can borrow the digital camera and snap some more pic's.
Like I said it's nothing fancy! But a good and fun experience.

/Henrik Olsson. Sweden.