CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Yes, here in the back of the room. I have a question...

Posted by Rich D.
on 2001-05-12 22:15:13 UTC
Jasson,
I was a CNC dummy Jan 1st, now I are one :-).
With a used 5400 Sherline mill and CNC pro + Ace Converter and a good
cad package (AutoCad LT98) plus Camtronics 3 Axis Driver Board I can now
say I am comfortable with designing and milling metal. I just added CNC
to a Sherline 4400 Lathe and machined a parabola flashlight reflector as
a first project! Check out the links list at the bottom of every list message
for tons of info, etc. Good luck,
Rich D., Atlanta

excalibur_215@... wrote:

> I am not sure if I am ready for this or not, so here goes.
>
> I found this group through the Sherline group down the hall. I am a
> true hobbist beginner at machining. I am 31 and have no machining
> experience. I have a standard #2000 mill, and have made a few things
> so far. I do a fair amount of woodworking, and thought I would enjoy
> working with metal. The main reason I got the mill was to mill on
> paintball gun bodies and make small parts. I have done a few for
> myself and friends.
>
> I have quickly learned that having CNC capacity would be better for
> the end result I am looking for, BUT I know very little about
> machining and even less about CNC. I am no dummy, but act like one
> most of the time. I would like to know what I would need to look
> into to get started. Drives? Computer requirements? Software? I
> don't expect you to get me going tomorrow, just point me in the right
> direction. I know that would save me a lot of time, and also let me
> know if I can handle it or not.
>
> I am sure questions like these come by all the time, but I went
> through several posts and could not find any.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Jasson Thomley

Discussion Thread

Rich D. 2001-05-12 22:15:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Yes, here in the back of the room. I have a question...