CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2001-05-14 19:17:34 UTC
dougrasmussen@... wrote:

> A much easier way is to do what the rest of us do. Compensate for
> the irregular bed in your Gcode programs. In other words, if the
> lathe tends to turn a taper, program a taper in the opposite
> direction and the part will come out straight.

Or make a bolt on CNC slide setup. Been working on the setup for my
Clausing lathe. Got the Z axis done enough to clamp down. Using two
hefty pads hanging down in the back to reference, two pads hanging down
in front w/set screws to pull back pads against bed, and bolts in the
middle going down to clamp plates that clamp on the insides of the bed.
Made a funky temp tool holder, and turning the lead screw by hand, took
a light 1.5" long cut. Measured the taper over 1", drew this up in Cad
and extrapolated the taper out to the 20" between pads. Shimmed
accordingly, less than .00005 taper. Took the pads off and machined the
shim thickness for a permanent fix, reinstalled, another test cut,
.00005 or less taper again! Needless to say, I'm rather pleased, and
surprised. For the type of work I am putting this together for, I could
live with .0001 taper/inch easily.

jmw@c... 2001-05-14 18:29:32 UTC My Logan Clunker dougrasmussen@c... 2001-05-14 18:53:37 UTC Re: My Logan Clunker Jon Anderson 2001-05-14 19:17:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker ballendo@y... 2001-05-15 05:43:39 UTC Re: My Logan Clunker