CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 90v DC motor as servo?

Posted by Les Watts
on 2001-05-21 13:31:04 UTC
Comparing case dimensions of similar PMDC motors would be close enough I
think. I have found pretty similar values between manufacturers. You don't
need to disassemble them
even though barium ferrite magnets are highly resistant to demagnetization.
Alnico magnets might be affected some
but I have never heard of any problems in dc motors other than
demagnetization with very high motor currents.

Since you mention hamfests you must have some electronics knowledge. What we
are trying to do here is get an appropriate mechanical impedance for the
motor. Like electrical impedance it has energy loss components (friction)
and reactive or energy storage components (mass and springyness) that
correspond to resistance, inductance,
and reciprocal capacitance in electrical systems. We use moment of inertia
because we are in polar coordinates.
This is all a linear approximation but is still fine for most
motions. An exception is extreme stick slip or saturating a
magnetic structure.

All motions can be described as a combination of frequencies
or cyclic motions.

It is most economical to have the load mechanical impedance
at or somewhat higher than the motor mechanical impedance.
In the Kollmorgen program this is entered as "inertia ratio"
as the motor is of primarily inertive mechanical impedance at low
frequencies.

As an example a typical 1/2 hp 1750 rpm PMDC motor direct driving a 5
turn/inch screw impedance matches about a 1000 lb load. It's polar moment is
about .2 oz-in/sec^2. The torque must be enough to overcome friction though.
Would it work for a 100 lb load? Yes, but most of the current would be used
to overcome the motors own inertia rather than the load when
accelerating.Might be fine if you don't need high acceleration or are making
something for a one time deal with surplus components. A lathe carriage will
not require high accelerations anyway. The load is mostly frictional with
sliding ways. Look at the small motors Hardinge uses for that purpose.

I don't think you even need a closed loop servo for a lathe carriage unless
you are threading.... in that case you need to know spindle position and
servo lock to that.

You can see the trade-offs of servo amp size, motor size,
and gearing for a given load by playing around with the program.

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA
http://www.rabun.net/~leswatts/wattsfurniturewp.html