CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Subject: software recommendations for MAXNC?

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-05-21 22:03:05 UTC
Rick,

Welcome to the realities of "low and slow" cnc! The MaxNC machine is
not going to like being over-stressed. Yes, you could add stiffeners,
etc., but if you just start with what you have, and where you are;
you will find that you learn some of the "needs" aren't... Also what
the solutions to some of the REAL needs are!

Steel table fastened to the alum table? Take temperatures/movement
into account: beyond that, should not be too much of a problem.
Personally, I'd use a "replaceable" cast aluminum bed to accomplish
the same goal.

Yes, it is more than trivial to go from solid model to cnc toolpath;
but it is getting better all the time. Again, these are not 20K plus
buck machines/software!

Work within the limitations you accepted when you purchased the maxnc
machine, and you will have success and grow.

Good luck!

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Rick Miller" <apollo@a...> wrote:
> I did not look forward to the idea of having to draw all features
> detailing the circumference of a part into a flat x-axis path.
> Or, for that matter, taking all the solid models I spend many hours
drawing
> and turning them into 2D polylines (some features would be
impossible to
> represent in this manner). Or drawing toolpaths, rather than the
object
> itself. It simply seemed far too time consuming.

> Has anyone had any thoughts as to using a fabricated steel table
(with T
> slots) attached over the stock mill bed, mainly in order to prevent
any
> permanent damage to the aluminum bed? I would think this would also
allow
> the use of regular steel t-bolts as well for clamping. Any opinions
on this?

>I wouldn't try to cut more than .010" at a time on that machine.]
>
> For *most* of the type of work I forsee myself doing, that
shouldn't be a
> problem - but is there any way I could enable the machine to take
deeper
> cuts safely, i.e. more powerful motor - or does this limitation
stem from
> the structure of the machine itself such as the relatively small
diameter
> ball screw?
> -Rick

Discussion Thread