CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Separate X-Y Table or Rotary X-Y Table for CNC use?

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2001-05-26 15:47:38 UTC
dougrasmussen@... wrote:

> Jon A is doing this for his lathe, maybe he can add to this
> discussion.

I almost did this myself several years ago (XY CNC table to put on my
Bridgeport). Main reasons for not doing so was a lack of familiarity at
the time with selecting stepper motors/drivers, and wiring everything
up, and really needing the Z axis to do what I was trying to do.
The MaxNC, limited as it is, did what I needed.

I've mounted my Max to both a 16" engine lathe and my 13" Clausing
engine lathe, and used them for turning.

Problem is, most XY tables for turning are so tall as to preclude their
use on any lathe much smaller than a 13". An XY table small enough to
work on an 11 or 12" lathe is not going to have enough travel to be of
much use on a mill unless one is only doing very small parts.

But the basic concept is sound for someone that just wants to profile
simple parts or automate hole to hole positioning for parts with many
holes.

Joe Vicars 2001-05-26 07:15:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Separate X-Y Table or Rotary X-Y Table for CNC use? Jon Anderson 2001-05-26 15:47:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Separate X-Y Table or Rotary X-Y Table for CNC use?