CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper control question <>ATC

on 2001-06-01 05:35:51 UTC
Stan,

The Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) is free and runs under the free
operating system RTLinux. It can be customized to talk to your
toolchanger by anyone experienced in modifying C code. It can also
control your spindle, although it does not yet support rigid tapping.
Look at www.linuxcnc.org

Being free and open source has its advantages and disadvantages. On
the one hand, there is no company to call for support. On the other,
there is a mailing list with lots of people, including the original
authors, ready to help. Given that you have the source code, you
don't have to depend on a single company to fix or change anything
that isn't working right, or simply isn't the way you want it -
instead you can fix it yourself or hire a C programmer to do it for
you.

If you have blown 'controller boards' you will probably need to buy an
output card for the PC and perhaps new servo amps as well.

Chris

> Is there a shareware program out there that will control three or
> four axis as well as control an AUTOMATIC TOOL CHANGER (ATC). I Have
> A mill and the controller boards are DC Servo 90 volts and I am
> confindnent that the motors are good and the mill was accurate when
> the controller boards for x and y crapped out. The machine has an
> inverter driving the spindle and rather then pay through $750 each
> per board with no guarantee that they wont go again. I figure there
> has got to be a better way. The machine is a PATERNER 1H
> MILLTRONICS VMC that has 16.5 x 24 x17 travels. Thanks for any
> input. Regards Stan

Chris

--
Christopher C. Stratton, stratton@...
Instrument Maker, Horn Player & Engineer

Discussion Thread

STAN MCDONALD 2001-05-31 19:36:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper control question<>ATC Chris Stratton 2001-06-01 05:35:51 UTC Re: Stepper control question <>ATC