CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Climb milling was feeds and speeds.

Lee Studley wrote:

> I once had to put a good edge on a 24"x 1/8" aluminum ruler for a
> luthier and found that the best results I could get were with climb
> milling the 1/8" edge on a manual Bridgeport with power feed.
> If I went the other normal way, it gummed up badly. This was without
> coolant, but it agrees with the list member that mentioned sign
> making. I dont know why it worked better, but there probably
> is a use for climb milling when appropriate. Maybe just for light
> cuts an controlled setups.

Conventional milling has the cutting edge sliding along the oncoming
(uncut) work, then plunging into the material when the pressure builds
enough to break through. This action enhances the recutting of
chips, which increases wear, and welds the chips to the work.

Climb milling has the cutting edge plunging hard into the uncut surface,
and then making a thinner and thinner chip until the edge breaks out
of the material. That impact of the edge with the surface severs any
chips that rode around on the cutter, which cuts them cleanly rather
than welding them to the surface. As that entry surface is to be cut
anyway, even if a chip did weld, the material would be removed.
It leaves a MUCH cleaner surface under practically all conditions.

Woody 2001-06-03 09:16:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Jon Elson 2001-06-03 11:45:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Lee Studley 2001-06-03 13:49:03 UTC Re: Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Robin S. 2001-06-03 15:31:20 UTC Re: Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Jon Elson 2001-06-03 15:34:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Woody 2001-06-03 17:16:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Kenn Danner 2001-06-03 18:07:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Climb milling was feeds and speeds. Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-06-03 18:27:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Climb milling was feeds and speeds.