CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1406

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2001-06-05 10:31:40 UTC
airport@... wrote:

>I'm not lazy. This is hi-tech for me! I do sculptures. I want a
>low cost cad/cam system to digitize subjects and carve the busts with
>a cnc machine. Low cost is essential. How much am I looking at in
>your opinion? Could anyone help me piece together a system from
>start to finish? Thank You, Joe Hogan

I don't think 'low cost' and 'digitizing' can be used harmoniously
in the same sentence !

However, if it can be done, Andrew Werby will know:
http://www.computersculpture.com/

regards
Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

[Thanks Doug! Assuming Joe, the original poster, is talking about live
people as his subjects, the (relatively) inexpensive way I've figured out
how to do this is to take a mold of the subject first (dental alginate,
straws up the nose) to produce a plaster life-casting. This can be
digitized using a Microscribe arm ($2700) and Rhino ($600). DeskProto
($1200) can turn the digital model into a toolpath which will run on the
MaxNC 15 CL 2($3206) fitted with a 4th axis attachment ($450) or a
similarly equipped Taig Microproto 2000 ($2560). (Prices do not include
shipping and sales tax, if any applies.) Note that this still won't be a
life-sized bust, since the work envelopes on these desktop machines aren't
that large- half-scale is about the biggest you could expect to fit, and
that would be a stretch. If life-sized output was required, probably the
cheapest tool would be a CNC-equipped Shoptask (ask Tim Goldstein about how
much his machine cost.).

If it's not necessary to do all this in-house, it might be possible to find
a service bureau to deal with the digitizing, and also to send the model
out to a CNC-equipped machinist for custom carving. This would cost more in
the long run, but would take less capital investment and be less messy too.

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2001-06-05 10:31:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1406