CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Andrew's CNC wiring

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-09-18 03:42:20 UTC
Message: 6
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:50:13 -0400
From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
Subject: Re: Andrew's CNC wiring (was Digest Number 167)

> From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
> [I can do that, and I'd appreciate any advice. I've even got a circuit
> diagram, but I'm not sure how it correlates to the tangle of wires.

Generally, each signal on a schematic of an industrial machine is assigned a
number. For example the wire from the lube oil level sensor switch to the
input of the cnc control might be #537. If you look at the wiring inside the
electrical enclosures carefully, you'll notice that each wire is numbered
with little sticky labels wrapped around the insulation near each end where
it terminates. If you can find #537, that's the wire! Some signals, like
24Vdc common might be used in a lot of places, so a lot of wires will have
the same number because they carry the same signal. In a Bridgeport this wire
is #39 and there are a lot of them. The actual point to point wiring scheme
is up to the builder and can only be ascertained by inspection.

[Little sticky labels? I'll have to look harder- I hope they didn't fall
off with the passage of time.]

> Should
> I send this stuff to you, upload it to a shared directory someplace, or put
> it up on my site?]

If you could take photos of the machine, and the inside of the electrical
enclosures, plus scan the schematic we might be able to give you some
direction.

[Okay. I'll do that- I should have it uploaded next week sometime.]

Be forewarned, this is a pretty complex endeavor if you are not
comfortable with electrical/electronic type work, but don't be too
discouraged either!

Matt

[Yes, I'm starting to realize this might be a bit ambitious for my first
project in electronics...]

Andrew

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-09-18 03:42:20 UTC Re: Andrew's CNC wiring